Question: I can't afford to invest thousands of dollars on my kitchen, but it needs help! Not only a paint job (even thought I love the colour), but it needs more storage and counter space. The room is much larger than it looks in the photo, it's about 15'x22'. Any suggestions?
Hi Catharine, Paint is the easiest and cheapest way to update your kitchen. We suggest painting the cabinets, walls and using a coral red as accents only. New flooring and a larger island with painted cabinets will improve storage and counters space also.
- Paint all of the walls (Benjamin Moore CC-572 Barnboard).
- Kitchen cabinets to be painted (Benjamin Moore CC-50 White Down).
- Island base painted (Benjamin Moore CC-50 White Down or Black).
- To maximize storage and counter space, we suggest getting a large island installed, your kitchen definitely has the space for it. We would then match the counter to existing and paint the cabinets to match the other cabinets or as mentioned above in black.
- We love the idea of a hardwood, engineered hardwood or vinyl plank flooring in a gray driftwood tone.
- Since you already show to love coral red, lets use that as accents throughout the space (Benjamin Moore AF-280 Salsa Dancing).
Voila, just an example of how thrifty a room can be with the use of colour, paint and a little creativity
Do you have a design question for us?
Send questions to email@example.com with the subject “designer advice”.